What is involved in Physical Security
Find out what the related areas are that Physical Security connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Physical Security thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Physical Security journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Physical Security leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Physical Security related domains to cover and 112 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Physical Security, Access control, Alarm management, Alarm systems, Artificial intelligence for video surveillance, Biometric device, Boundaries of Security Report, Closed-circuit television, Computer security, Crime prevention through environmental design, Door security, Executive protection, Glass break detector, Guard tour patrol system, Guard towers, Human rights, IP camera, Identification cards, Information security, Key management, Logical security, Motion sensors, Natural surveillance, Physical Security Professional, Protective barriers, Razor wire, Security alarm, Security alarms, Security engineering, Security guard, Security guards, Security lighting, Standoff distance, Video analytics:
Physical Security Critical Criteria:
Unify Physical Security leadership and work towards be a leading Physical Security expert.
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Are there multiple physical security controls (such as badges, escorts, or mantraps) in place that would prevent unauthorized individuals from gaining access to the facility?
– Does your Cybersecurity plan contain both cyber and physical security components, or does your physical security plan identify critical cyber assets?
– Has Cybersecurity been identified in the physical security plans for the assets, reflecting planning for a blended cyber/physical attack?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Physical Security objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Secured Offices, Rooms and Facilities: Are physical security for offices, rooms and facilities designed and applied?
– Is the security product consistent with physical security and other policy requirements?
– What is the source of the strategies for Physical Security strengthening and reform?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Physical Security move?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Access control strategies and test out new things.
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– What are the disruptive Physical Security technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– If data need to be secured through access controls (e.g. password-protected network space), how will they be applied?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access control: Are there appropriate access controls over PII when it is in the cloud?
– What is the direction of flow for which access control is required?
– Should we call it role based rule based access control, or rbrbac?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– How can skill-level changes improve Physical Security?
– What is our role based access control?
– Who determines access controls?
Alarm management Critical Criteria:
Map Alarm management goals and get out your magnifying glass.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Physical Security forward?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Physical Security processes?
– Do Physical Security rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Alarm systems Critical Criteria:
Dissect Alarm systems governance and devise Alarm systems key steps.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Physical Security agendas for the next 3 years?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Physical Security that make it risky?
Artificial intelligence for video surveillance Critical Criteria:
Probe Artificial intelligence for video surveillance governance and change contexts.
– Do those selected for the Physical Security team have a good general understanding of what Physical Security is all about?
– How do we go about Securing Physical Security?
– How can we improve Physical Security?
Biometric device Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Biometric device visions and finalize specific methods for Biometric device acceptance.
– Does Physical Security analysis show the relationships among important Physical Security factors?
– Why should we adopt a Physical Security framework?
– What is our Physical Security Strategy?
Boundaries of Security Report Critical Criteria:
Test Boundaries of Security Report projects and optimize Boundaries of Security Report leadership as a key to advancement.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Physical Security been identified and analyzed?
– How can you measure Physical Security in a systematic way?
Closed-circuit television Critical Criteria:
Read up on Closed-circuit television projects and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Physical Security? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Physical Security objectives?
– Are there Physical Security problems defined?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Computer security results and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Computer security results.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Do we monitor the Physical Security decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Think of your Physical Security project. what are the main functions?
Crime prevention through environmental design Critical Criteria:
Track Crime prevention through environmental design goals and mentor Crime prevention through environmental design customer orientation.
– Can we add value to the current Physical Security decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Physical Security project?
– What are the business goals Physical Security is aiming to achieve?
Door security Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Door security risks and get answers.
– Is there a Physical Security Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Have you identified your Physical Security key performance indicators?
Executive protection Critical Criteria:
Debate over Executive protection risks and probe Executive protection strategic alliances.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Physical Security delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are our Physical Security Processes?
Glass break detector Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Glass break detector results and devote time assessing Glass break detector and its risk.
– Does Physical Security include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Physical Security processes?
– Is a Physical Security Team Work effort in place?
Guard tour patrol system Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Guard tour patrol system projects and oversee Guard tour patrol system requirements.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Physical Security processes?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Physical Security experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Who will provide the final approval of Physical Security deliverables?
Guard towers Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Guard towers results and pioneer acquisition of Guard towers systems.
– What vendors make products that address the Physical Security needs?
– Are there Physical Security Models?
Human rights Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Human rights planning and pay attention to the small things.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Physical Security project manager?
– How would one define Physical Security leadership?
IP camera Critical Criteria:
Talk about IP camera tasks and oversee IP camera management by competencies.
– What business benefits will Physical Security goals deliver if achieved?
– What will drive Physical Security change?
Identification cards Critical Criteria:
Study Identification cards decisions and prioritize challenges of Identification cards.
– What are the usability implications of Physical Security actions?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Align Information security quality and devise Information security key steps.
– Is there an information security policy to provide mgmt direction and support for information security in accordance with business requirements, relevant laws and regulations?
– Are information security policies and other relevant security information disseminated to all system users (including vendors, contractors, and business partners)?
– Based on our information security Risk Management strategy, do we have official written information security and privacy policies, standards, or procedures?
– Does this review include assessing opportunities for improvement, need for changes to the ISMS, review of information security policy & objectives?
– Is mgmt able to determine whether security activities delegated to people or implemented by information security are performing as expected?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (degree of completeness)?
– Have the roles and responsibilities for information security been clearly defined within the company?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into law?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (ciso or equivalent title)?
– What best describes the authorization process in information security?
– Does mgmt establish roles and responsibilities for information security?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– How to achieve a satisfied level of information security?
– What is the goal of information security?
Key management Critical Criteria:
Apply Key management visions and get answers.
– Another confidentiality consideration for encryption is key management. How are the encryption keys that are used going to be managed and by whom?
– How to deal with Physical Security Changes?
Logical security Critical Criteria:
Devise Logical security governance and look at the big picture.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Physical Security?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Physical Security requirements in detail?
Motion sensors Critical Criteria:
Examine Motion sensors goals and get the big picture.
– Does Physical Security appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Natural surveillance Critical Criteria:
Chat re Natural surveillance goals and know what your objective is.
– Is maximizing Physical Security protection the same as minimizing Physical Security loss?
Physical Security Professional Critical Criteria:
Detail Physical Security Professional leadership and differentiate in coordinating Physical Security Professional.
Protective barriers Critical Criteria:
Devise Protective barriers decisions and correct Protective barriers management by competencies.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Physical Security with what users do day-to-day?
– How do we measure improved Physical Security service perception, and satisfaction?
Razor wire Critical Criteria:
Look at Razor wire failures and drive action.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Physical Security models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– How likely is the current Physical Security plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Security alarm Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Security alarm decisions and find the ideas you already have.
– What are the key elements of your Physical Security performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Security alarms Critical Criteria:
Investigate Security alarms projects and find out.
– In what ways are Physical Security vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Physical Security process?
– Is Physical Security Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Security engineering Critical Criteria:
Focus on Security engineering decisions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Does our organization need more Physical Security education?
– How is the value delivered by Physical Security being measured?
Security guard Critical Criteria:
Think about Security guard failures and catalog Security guard activities.
– Does Physical Security create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Security guards Critical Criteria:
Grade Security guards goals and check on ways to get started with Security guards.
– How do we go about Comparing Physical Security approaches/solutions?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Physical Security Management?
Security lighting Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Security lighting outcomes and stake your claim.
– What are specific Physical Security Rules to follow?
– Are we Assessing Physical Security and Risk?
Standoff distance Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Standoff distance risks and grade techniques for implementing Standoff distance controls.
– what is the best design framework for Physical Security organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What is our formula for success in Physical Security ?
Video analytics Critical Criteria:
Depict Video analytics tactics and spearhead techniques for implementing Video analytics.
– Consider your own Physical Security project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Physical Security. How do we gain traction?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Physical Security Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Physical Security External links:
[PDF]Physical Security Officer (PSOC) and Crime – Fort – …
Access Control and Physical Security
ADC LTD NM Leader In Personnel & Physical Security
Access control External links:
Linear Pro Access – Professional Access Control Systems
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Contact | Doorking – Access Control Solutions
Alarm management External links:
ProSys Alarm Management – AgileOps | ProSys
Alarm systems External links:
Wireless Home Security Alarm Systems from ADT
Best Car Alarm Systems of 2018 – Remote Start, GPS …
Fortin | Bypass modules, remote starters and alarm systems
Artificial intelligence for video surveillance External links:
Mindolia | Artificial Intelligence for Video Surveillance
Biometric device External links:
HIIDE portable biometric device scans iris, fingers and …
Smaller, smarter biometric device remotely monitors …
Closed-circuit television External links:
[PDF]9160.1 CLOSED-CIRCUIT TELEVISION …
Computer security External links:
Webroot® Computer Security – 20-Time PC Mag Winner
http://Ad · www.webroot.com/computer/security
Computer Security Products for Home Users | Kaspersky Lab …
Top 10 Computer Security 2018 – See Who’s #1 Computer Security
http://Ad · top10bestantivirusprotection.com/Best Computer/Security 2018
Crime prevention through environmental design External links:
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
Amazon.com: Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design, Third Edition (9780124116351): Lawrence Fennelly, Timothy Crowe M.S. Criminology – …
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design | …
Door security External links:
ASSA ABLOY Door Security Solutions :: Extranet
Door Security for Homes – DoorDevil
NIGHTLOCK Original Door Security | Door Safety | …
Executive protection External links:
Executive Protection Training Program | Pinkerton
World leading Executive Protection Company – AS Solution
Executive Protection Training | TCCC course | GI BIll …
Glass break detector External links:
Glass Break Detectors
http://Ad · Amazon.com/Glass Break Detectors
Vivint Glass Break Detector & Sensors | 1-855-434-1371
Amazon.com : Honeywell 5853 Wireless Glass Break Detector : Home Security Systems : Camera & Photo
Guard tour patrol system External links:
QR-Patrol | Real Time and Online Guard Tour Patrol System
Guard towers External links:
Guard Towers and Observation Towers | Panel Built
Mobile Prison Guard Towers Coming to a Walmart …
Human rights External links:
Iowa Department of Human Rights | We Grow …
Human Rights Watch | Defending Human Rights …
DHRHome | NYS Human Rights
IP camera External links:
IP Camera Viewer keeps eye on your home, office, parking area, or anywhere you have an IP camera. View video from multiple cameras simultaneously. More than
IP Camera Viewer – Free IP Camera Monitoring …
IP Camera | Samsung
Identification cards External links:
[PDF]POLICY TITLE IDENTIFICATION CARDS …
BMV: Identification Cards – Indiana – IN.gov
Maryland Identification Cards
Information security External links:
Managed Security Services | Information Security …
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
ALTA – Information Security
Key management External links:
Key Tracer Key Management Systems
Key Management – Title Guarantee
Key management models (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
Logical security External links:
Shon Harris – Logical Security, Contributor
Logical Security Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
Natural surveillance External links:
What is Natural Surveillance? – Simplicable
[PDF]Natural Surveillance Natural Access Control – …
Physical Security Professional External links:
[PDF]Physical Security Professional – Orgsites
[PDF]Sample Test Physical Security Professional …
PSP Physical Security Professional (PSP) Exam Training
Protective barriers External links:
Vestil – Protective Barriers
Protective Barriers – Low Price Guaranteed
http://Ad · www.trafficsafetywarehouse.com/Barriers
SMUD Adding Protective Barriers around Some Poles | FOX40
Razor wire External links:
Razor Wire: Edging, Gates & Fencing | eBay
Mayor opposes razor wire on border fence – CNN
Razor Wire Fencing – Buy Razor Wire Fencing at Amazon
http://Ad · Amazon.com/Patio
Security alarm External links:
Security Alarm Systems – Home & Business Alarms, …
Home & Business Security Alarm System’s in Boston …
Security alarms External links:
ADT Home Security Systems | Zions Security Alarms
Pepper Spray – Personal Security Alarms | SABRE
Residential Security Alarms – EPS
Security engineering External links:
Blockchain Protocol Analysis and Security Engineering …
Master of Science in Cyber Security Engineering – UW …
National Security Engineering Center | The MITRE …
Security guard External links:
Pierce County Security – Security Guard Services (253) …
Security Guard Training – NY DCJS
U.S. Security Associates Provides Security Guard & …
Security guards External links:
Security Guards :: Job Description – MyPlan.com
Security lighting External links:
Save On Security Lighting Now – lowes.com
http://Ad · www.lowes.com/lighting/security
Outdoor > Security Lighting – The best value in lighting
Smart Security Lighting | BeON Home
Video analytics External links:
Agent Vi – Comprehensive Video Analytics Solutions
OSI’s software solutions provide innovative video analytics
Cisco Video Analytics – Cisco