What is involved in Systems Operations
Find out what the related areas are that Systems Operations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Systems Operations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Systems Operations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Systems Operations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Systems Operations related domains to cover and 116 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Systems Operations, Operations support system, Access network, Business support system, Computer system, Configuration management, Customer service, DSL Forum, Data entry clerk, Digital Equipment Corporation, Fault management, Hardware Information Navigational Tool, ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector, International Organization for Standardization, Loop Maintenance Operations System, Network element, Remote Memory Administration System, Service Evaluation System, Service assurance, Service delivery platform, Service fulfillment, Simple Network Management Protocol, Software applications, Switching Control Center System, TM Forum, Telcordia Technologies, Telecommunications Management Network, Telecommunications service providers, Telephone company, Telephone exchange, Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System:
Systems Operations Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Systems Operations failures and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Systems Operations?
– Does Systems Operations analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What is Effective Systems Operations?
Operations support system Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Operations support system outcomes and know what your objective is.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Systems Operations delivery for example is new software needed?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Systems Operations project manager?
– To what extent does management recognize Systems Operations as a tool to increase the results?
Access network Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Access network decisions and customize techniques for implementing Access network controls.
– Is Systems Operations dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How important is Systems Operations to the user organizations mission?
– What is our Systems Operations Strategy?
Business support system Critical Criteria:
Grasp Business support system results and catalog Business support system activities.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Systems Operations that make it risky?
– What are the business goals Systems Operations is aiming to achieve?
Computer system Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Computer system issues and point out Computer system tensions in leadership.
– What are the key elements of your Systems Operations performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– During the last 3 years, have you experienced a disruption to your computer system that lasted longer than 4 hours for any reason (other than planned downtime)?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Systems Operations leaders?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Configuration management results and achieve a single Configuration management view and bringing data together.
– Are physical configuration assessments conducted to determine the degree of agreement between the current physical configuration and the configuration depicted in the facility documentation?
– How do you do keep current with a continuously changing codeline, and also make progress without being distracted by your environment changing out from under you?
– A virtual local area network (vlan) is a physical grouping of network devices within a larger network. true or false?
– Intent: how do you keep the changes from getting out of hand and contain the potential for errors in the build?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a DevOps strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Is there a documented graded approach process to operational Configuration Management?
– What tools, resources, and training are required to perform baseline management?
– How do you know that the system will still work after you make a change?
– How do you keep a rapidly evolving codeline stable enough to be useful?
– Can we answer questions like: Are the test plan and results available?
– How do you make sure that the code base always builds reliably?
– Are there design changes associated with the proposed change?
– How and when are baselines created and physically controlled?
– What are valid performance indicators for the service desk?
– What is the difference between a problem and a known error?
– Are the objects baselined in the cm repository?
– What should be under configuration control?
– How many reported faults in version t?
– How are baselines verified?
– Implemented as proposed?
Customer service Critical Criteria:
Systematize Customer service planning and oversee Customer service management by competencies.
– Customer Service What is the future of CRM with regards to Customer Service five years from now, What Technologies would affect it the most and what trends in Customer Service landscape would we see at that time?
– How much more would you be willing to spend with a company that you believe provides excellent Customer Service?
– Do we know what percentage of customers are likely to spend more if the Customer Service rep is helpful?
– What are acceptable techniques for directing a customer to the Customer Service department?
– Give an example of a time you made a point to go above and beyond with Customer Service?
– What kind of qualities would staff members who deliver stellar Customer Service possess?
– When a person has a bad Customer Service experience how many people do they tell?
– What are the anticipated hours of operation for live Customer Service support?
– What are some techniques for effectively providing service to older customers?
– How can we integrate Customer Service into our Quality Assurance program?
– How do we know if we are measuring or meeting our customer s needs?
– CRM and Customer Service: Strategic Asset or Corporate Overhead?
– Do we think that we are on the right track with our responses?
– What are the issues of scaling Twitter for Customer Service?
– Why should the customer be interested in your problems?
– What does a Customer Service culture look like?
– Do we track problems, so we can improve?
– How can Customer Service be improved?
– Why is Customer Service substandard?
– Do beliefs differ from values?
DSL Forum Critical Criteria:
Guard DSL Forum risks and maintain DSL Forum for success.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Systems Operations objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What is our formula for success in Systems Operations ?
Data entry clerk Critical Criteria:
Chat re Data entry clerk tactics and finalize the present value of growth of Data entry clerk.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Systems Operations project?
– How will you measure your Systems Operations effectiveness?
– How do we Lead with Systems Operations in Mind?
Digital Equipment Corporation Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Digital Equipment Corporation engagements and catalog what business benefits will Digital Equipment Corporation goals deliver if achieved.
– Which customers cant participate in our Systems Operations domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What vendors make products that address the Systems Operations needs?
– Can we do Systems Operations without complex (expensive) analysis?
Fault management Critical Criteria:
Investigate Fault management decisions and arbitrate Fault management techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Systems Operations information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Systems Operations. How do we gain traction?
– Why is Systems Operations important for you now?
Hardware Information Navigational Tool Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Hardware Information Navigational Tool goals and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Hardware Information Navigational Tool projects.
– In what ways are Systems Operations vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Systems Operations? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What are our Systems Operations Processes?
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector Critical Criteria:
Mix ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector failures and pioneer acquisition of ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector systems.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Systems Operations forward?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Systems Operations effort?
– How can the value of Systems Operations be defined?
International Organization for Standardization Critical Criteria:
Chart International Organization for Standardization goals and mentor International Organization for Standardization customer orientation.
– In the case of a Systems Operations project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Systems Operations project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Systems Operations project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
Loop Maintenance Operations System Critical Criteria:
Align Loop Maintenance Operations System governance and arbitrate Loop Maintenance Operations System techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What are the disruptive Systems Operations technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What is the source of the strategies for Systems Operations strengthening and reform?
– Are there recognized Systems Operations problems?
Network element Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Network element goals and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– How is the value delivered by Systems Operations being measured?
– What will drive Systems Operations change?
Remote Memory Administration System Critical Criteria:
Focus on Remote Memory Administration System leadership and overcome Remote Memory Administration System skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Systems Operations does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How do we know that any Systems Operations analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Systems Operations Management?
Service Evaluation System Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Service Evaluation System outcomes and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Service Evaluation System decisions.
– How do we Improve Systems Operations service perception, and satisfaction?
– How do we keep improving Systems Operations?
Service assurance Critical Criteria:
Frame Service assurance issues and reduce Service assurance costs.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Systems Operations processes of our organization?
– Is Systems Operations Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Are there Systems Operations problems defined?
Service delivery platform Critical Criteria:
Devise Service delivery platform visions and spearhead techniques for implementing Service delivery platform.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Systems Operations product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What business benefits will Systems Operations goals deliver if achieved?
Service fulfillment Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Service fulfillment tasks and devise Service fulfillment key steps.
– What are the usability implications of Systems Operations actions?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Simple Network Management Protocol projects and document what potential Simple Network Management Protocol megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How to Secure Systems Operations?
Software applications Critical Criteria:
Adapt Software applications adoptions and develop and take control of the Software applications initiative.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Systems Operations project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What about Systems Operations Analysis of results?
Switching Control Center System Critical Criteria:
Track Switching Control Center System planning and assess what counts with Switching Control Center System that we are not counting.
– Are there Systems Operations Models?
TM Forum Critical Criteria:
Mix TM Forum strategies and research ways can we become the TM Forum company that would put us out of business.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Systems Operations process?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Systems Operations with what users do day-to-day?
Telcordia Technologies Critical Criteria:
Examine Telcordia Technologies decisions and shift your focus.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Systems Operations experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Does our organization need more Systems Operations education?
Telecommunications Management Network Critical Criteria:
Investigate Telecommunications Management Network quality and customize techniques for implementing Telecommunications Management Network controls.
– Consider your own Systems Operations project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are our needs in relation to Systems Operations skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Who will provide the final approval of Systems Operations deliverables?
Telecommunications service providers Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Telecommunications service providers governance and develop and take control of the Telecommunications service providers initiative.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– Do the Systems Operations decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Telephone company Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Telephone company decisions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Telephone company.
– How can you measure Systems Operations in a systematic way?
Telephone exchange Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Telephone exchange goals and shift your focus.
– Is Supporting Systems Operations documentation required?
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System Critical Criteria:
Refer to Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System adoptions and arbitrate Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What is the purpose of Systems Operations in relation to the mission?
– How can we improve Systems Operations?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Systems Operations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Systems Operations External links:
USAF Command & Control Systems Operations Career …
WOMOS 150U Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations Technician
Water Systems Operations II | Mass.gov
Operations support system External links:
ACE Cash Express – ACE OPERATIONS SUPPORT SYSTEM
[PDF]Deploying Avaya Operations Support System for …
Avaya Support – Products – Operations Support System
Access network External links:
Logon – MyHealth Access Network
S.C.A.N. Home – Security Central Access Network
All Partners Access Network – Official Site
Business support system External links:
Business Support System (BSS) Solutions | Panamax Inc
Business Support System(Xpro) – Authentication
Computer system External links:
New Mexico’s computer system gets an upgrade | …
Futaba 18MZ WC 18-Channel Computer System With …
computer system Definition from PC Magazine Encyclop…
Configuration management External links:
Configuration Management | IpX
SecureWorks Cloud Security Configuration Management
AWS OpsWorks – Configuration Management
Customer service External links:
Customer Service Center – Washington Gas eService …
Customer Service | Transportation Security Administration
Customer Service – Kohl’s
DSL Forum External links:
DSL Forum TR-069 and its extensions – FAQ’s – Fine Point
[PDF]DSL Forum Technical Report TR-090 Protocol …
[PDF]DSL Forum Working Text WT-101 – IEEE 802
Data entry clerk External links:
Data Entry Clerk Salary – PayScale
Learn What Data Entry Clerks Do – The Balance
Data Entry Clerk job description template | Workable
Digital Equipment Corporation External links:
GRC’s | Digital Equipment Corporation’s PDP-8
Why did Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) fail? – …
Digital Equipment Corporation – CHM Revolution
Fault management External links:
Fault Management – Oracle Integrated Lights Out …
[PDF]FAULT MANAGEMENT HANDBOOK – NASA
Network Fault Management & Monitoring | SolarWinds
Hardware Information Navigational Tool External links:
Hardware Information Navigational Tool – …
Hardware Information Navigational Tool – WOW.com
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector External links:
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector
International Organization for Standardization External links:
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
ISO International Organization for Standardization
Loop Maintenance Operations System External links:
Loop Maintenance Operations System : definition of …
http://dictionary.sensagent.com/Loop Maintenance Operations System/en-en
Loop Maintenance Operations System – Infogalactic: …
Loop Maintenance Operations System – Revolvy
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Loop Maintenance Operations System
Network element External links:
Modem Always On; and Network Element Dial-out Prevention
Remote Memory Administration System External links:
RMAS means Remote Memory Administration System
Service assurance External links:
Windstream Wholesale – Wholesale Service Assurance …
Service Assurance Plan | MetroCast
Job Information: Service Assurance Agent Job – …
Service delivery platform External links:
Customer Service Delivery Platform – A Process-Driven …
Service fulfillment External links:
Agency Service Fulfillment Enterprises, LLC
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
[PDF]Simple Network Management Protocol – Fermilab
Software applications External links:
AltSource | Custom Business Software Applications
Airport Deicing Software Applications
CRMfusion Salesforce Data Quality Software Applications
Switching Control Center System External links:
Switching Control Center System – liquisearch.com
Switching Control Center System – How is Switching …
SCCS – Switching Control Center System in …
TM Forum External links:
Home | TM Forum Action Week
Home | TM Forum Digital Transformation ME
Home | TM Forum Live
Telcordia Technologies External links:
Telkom SA Limited v. Telcordia Technologies, Inc. from the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. See other cases from the Third Circuit. Docket Entries.
http://[PDF]Telcordia Technologies, Inc. d/b/a iconectiv …
Telcordia Technologies Careers | CareerBliss
[PDF]Telcordia Technologies, Inc. d/b/a iconectiv …
Telecommunications Management Network External links:
Telecommunications Management Network | Arizona …
Telecommunications service providers External links:
[PDF]for Telecommunications Service Providers
Telephone company External links:
Vermont Telephone Company – Vermont Telephone Company
Home – Hart Telephone Company
srcaccess.net – Santa Rosa Telephone Company
Telephone exchange External links:
Online BillPay – Steelville Telephone Exchange Inc.
North American Telephone Exchange Lookup by NPA …
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System External links:
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System – WOW.com
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System : definition …
http://dictionary.sensagent.com/Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System/en-en