What is involved in Governance Risk and Compliance
Find out what the related areas are that Governance Risk and Compliance connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Governance Risk and Compliance thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Governance Risk and Compliance journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Governance Risk and Compliance leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Governance Risk and Compliance related domains to cover and 182 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Governance Risk and Compliance, Governance, risk management, and compliance, Chief compliance officer, Chief governance officer, Climate governance, Clinical governance, Collaborative governance, Conformity assessment, Corporate governance, Cultural governance, Data governance, Earth system governance, Ecclesiastical polity, Enterprise risk management, Environmental, social and corporate governance, Environmental governance, Global governance, Good governance, Governance in higher education, ISO 19600, Information Technology, Information governance, Information system, Local governance, Market governance mechanism, Multistakeholder governance model, Network governance, Ocean governance, Open-source governance, Political party governance, Private governance, Project governance, Records management, Regulatory compliance, Risk appetite, Risk management, SOA governance, Security sector governance and reform, Simulation governance, Soil governance, Sustainable Governance Indicators, Technology governance, Transnational governance, Website governance, World Governance Index:
Governance Risk and Compliance Critical Criteria:
Read up on Governance Risk and Compliance planning and improve Governance Risk and Compliance service perception.
– Have you identified your Governance Risk and Compliance key performance indicators?
– How would one define Governance Risk and Compliance leadership?
– How can the value of Governance Risk and Compliance be defined?
Governance, risk management, and compliance Critical Criteria:
Match Governance, risk management, and compliance strategies and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Governance, risk management, and compliance results.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Governance Risk and Compliance experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Governance Risk and Compliance is underway?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Governance Risk and Compliance process?
Chief compliance officer Critical Criteria:
Examine Chief compliance officer decisions and mentor Chief compliance officer customer orientation.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Governance Risk and Compliance leaders?
– Is a Governance Risk and Compliance Team Work effort in place?
Chief governance officer Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Chief governance officer management and look in other fields.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Governance Risk and Compliance opportunities costing us money?
– Is Governance Risk and Compliance dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Climate governance Critical Criteria:
Systematize Climate governance leadership and find out what it really means.
– Can we add value to the current Governance Risk and Compliance decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Governance Risk and Compliance processes of our organization?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Governance Risk and Compliance moving forward?
Clinical governance Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Clinical governance management and develop and take control of the Clinical governance initiative.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Governance Risk and Compliance, including any consulting or professional services?
– Have all basic functions of Governance Risk and Compliance been defined?
– What is our Governance Risk and Compliance Strategy?
Collaborative governance Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Collaborative governance visions and achieve a single Collaborative governance view and bringing data together.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Governance Risk and Compliance process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Governance Risk and Compliance process available?
– What are the disruptive Governance Risk and Compliance technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Is there any existing Governance Risk and Compliance governance structure?
Conformity assessment Critical Criteria:
Study Conformity assessment failures and find out.
– What role(s) do or should national/international standards and organizations that develop national/international standards play in critical infrastructure Cybersecurity conformity assessment?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Governance Risk and Compliance processes?
– Who will provide the final approval of Governance Risk and Compliance deliverables?
Corporate governance Critical Criteria:
Map Corporate governance visions and slay a dragon.
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How do we manage Governance Risk and Compliance Knowledge Management (KM)?
Cultural governance Critical Criteria:
Chart Cultural governance outcomes and handle a jump-start course to Cultural governance.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Governance Risk and Compliance? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What are the short and long-term Governance Risk and Compliance goals?
– Why should we adopt a Governance Risk and Compliance framework?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Data governance quality and transcribe Data governance as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Is there an organization-wide metadata standard, such as an extension of the dublin core, for use by search tools, multiple repositories, etc.?
– Does the organization have a written plan outlining processes for monitoring compliance with its established policies and procedures?
– Is the requested data for a project that supports the goals and mission of our organization and benefits our clients?
– How is the chief executive or equivalent management board consulted and/or informed of information governance issues?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Governance Risk and Compliance agendas for the next 3 years?
– How will decisions regarding these key enterprise data processes be made and monitored?
– What is your data governance organization s approach to consistent communication?
– How can access to your enterprise databases be protected, monitored and audited?
– Is the data coming from the best sources (lineage; most reliable, timely)?
– Are there opportunities from making this available to a broader audience?
– What happens to projects after they are completed?
– How does it get refreshed when there is a crash?
– What factors make data governance successful?
– Should clients be given control of the data?
– What else are you trying to accomplish?
– What level of data will users get?
– What is hierarchical master data?
– Can Data Quality be improved?
– Who should do what, and when?
– Should it be encrypted?
Earth system governance Critical Criteria:
Value Earth system governance planning and ask questions.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Governance Risk and Compliance forward?
– Does the Governance Risk and Compliance task fit the clients priorities?
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Ecclesiastical polity Critical Criteria:
Define Ecclesiastical polity leadership and find the ideas you already have.
– How important is Governance Risk and Compliance to the user organizations mission?
– What about Governance Risk and Compliance Analysis of results?
– What are current Governance Risk and Compliance Paradigms?
Enterprise risk management Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Enterprise risk management engagements and get answers.
– Has management conducted a comprehensive evaluation of the entirety of enterprise Risk Management at least once every three years or sooner if a major strategy or management change occurs, a program is added or deleted, changes in economic or political conditions exist, or changes in operations or methods of processing information have occurred?
– Does the information infrastructure convert raw data into more meaningful, relevant information to create knowledgeable and wise decisions that assists personnel in carrying out their enterprise Risk Management and other responsibilities?
– Has management considered from external parties (e.g., customers, vendors and others doing business with the entity, external auditors, and regulators) important information on the functioning of an entitys enterprise Risk Management?
– Are findings of enterprise Risk Management deficiencies reported to the individual responsible for the function or activity involved, as well as to at least one level of management above that person?
– Do regular face-to-face meetings occur with risk champions or other employees from a range of functions and entity units with responsibility for aspects of enterprise Risk Management?
– What are the key elements of your Governance Risk and Compliance performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Is a technical solution for data loss prevention -i.e., systems designed to automatically monitor for data leakage -considered essential to enterprise risk management?
– Has management taken appropriate corrective actions related to reports from external sources for their implications for enterprise Risk Management?
– Has management taken an occasional fresh look at focusing directly on enterprise Risk Management effectiveness?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity risk incorporated into organizations overarching enterprise Risk Management?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity risk incorporated into organizations overarching enterprise Risk Management?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity Risk Management integrated into enterprise risk management?
– Do policy and procedure manuals address managements enterprise Risk Management philosophy?
– How is the enterprise Risk Management model used to assess and respond to risk?
– When you need advice about enterprise Risk Management, whom do you call?
– How can skill-level changes improve Governance Risk and Compliance?
– What is our enterprise Risk Management strategy?
Environmental, social and corporate governance Critical Criteria:
Define Environmental, social and corporate governance adoptions and pay attention to the small things.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Governance Risk and Compliance effort?
– How do we go about Comparing Governance Risk and Compliance approaches/solutions?
Environmental governance Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Environmental governance tactics and oversee Environmental governance management by competencies.
– Think about the functions involved in your Governance Risk and Compliance project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How do we maintain Governance Risk and Compliances Integrity?
Global governance Critical Criteria:
Value Global governance tasks and create a map for yourself.
– To what extent does management recognize Governance Risk and Compliance as a tool to increase the results?
– How do we go about Securing Governance Risk and Compliance?
Good governance Critical Criteria:
Audit Good governance adoptions and optimize Good governance leadership as a key to advancement.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Governance Risk and Compliance project manager?
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Governance in higher education Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Governance in higher education tactics and document what potential Governance in higher education megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Who needs to know about Governance Risk and Compliance ?
ISO 19600 Critical Criteria:
Reorganize ISO 19600 management and gather ISO 19600 models .
– What is the source of the strategies for Governance Risk and Compliance strengthening and reform?
– Why are Governance Risk and Compliance skills important?
– How to Secure Governance Risk and Compliance?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Information Technology quality and look in other fields.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Governance Risk and Compliance? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Governance Risk and Compliance Management?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Information governance Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Information governance visions and oversee Information governance requirements.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Governance Risk and Compliance process?
– How does your organization assess staff training needs and ensure job/role specific information governance training is provided to all staff?
– What governance arrangements do you have in place to support the current and evolving information governance agenda?
– What is the organizations most effective method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– In relation to information governance, what are the key challenges or changes facing your organization?
– What is the organizations preferred method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Information system leadership and create Information system explanations for all managers.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Local governance Critical Criteria:
Merge Local governance outcomes and test out new things.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Governance Risk and Compliance project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How do we Improve Governance Risk and Compliance service perception, and satisfaction?
Market governance mechanism Critical Criteria:
Graph Market governance mechanism tasks and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Market governance mechanism is getting what it needs.
Multistakeholder governance model Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Multistakeholder governance model projects and catalog what business benefits will Multistakeholder governance model goals deliver if achieved.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Governance Risk and Compliance is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How do we Lead with Governance Risk and Compliance in Mind?
Network governance Critical Criteria:
Systematize Network governance tactics and probe the present value of growth of Network governance.
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Governance Risk and Compliance objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Governance Risk and Compliance values?
Ocean governance Critical Criteria:
Check Ocean governance planning and track iterative Ocean governance results.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Governance Risk and Compliance strengthening and reform actually originate?
– In a project to restructure Governance Risk and Compliance outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Open-source governance Critical Criteria:
Adapt Open-source governance quality and improve Open-source governance service perception.
– Think about the people you identified for your Governance Risk and Compliance project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
Political party governance Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Political party governance engagements and create Political party governance explanations for all managers.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Governance Risk and Compliance?
– Will Governance Risk and Compliance deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Private governance Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Private governance results and look for lots of ideas.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Governance Risk and Compliance workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How do we Identify specific Governance Risk and Compliance investment and emerging trends?
Project governance Critical Criteria:
Analyze Project governance failures and report on developing an effective Project governance strategy.
– What is the purpose of Governance Risk and Compliance in relation to the mission?
Records management Critical Criteria:
Mix Records management projects and oversee Records management requirements.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Governance Risk and Compliance strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Have records center personnel received training on the records management aspects of the Quality Assurance program?
– What business benefits will Governance Risk and Compliance goals deliver if achieved?
Regulatory compliance Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Regulatory compliance engagements and describe the risks of Regulatory compliance sustainability.
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– In the case of public clouds, will the hosting service provider meet their regulatory compliance requirements?
– Regulatory compliance: Is the cloud vendor willing to undergo external audits and/or security certifications?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Governance Risk and Compliance?
– What is Regulatory Compliance ?
Risk appetite Critical Criteria:
Study Risk appetite leadership and learn.
– How do we revise the risk appetite statement so that we can link it to risk culture, roll it out effectively to the business units and bring it to life for them. How do we make it meaningful in connecting it with what they do day-to-day?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Governance Risk and Compliance been identified and analyzed?
– Is there a clearly defined IT risk appetite that has been successfully implemented?
– Risk appetite: at what point does the risk become unacceptable?
Risk management Critical Criteria:
Discuss Risk management visions and cater for concise Risk management education.
– Can we describe our organizations policies and procedures governing risk generally and Cybersecurity risk specifically. How does senior management communicate and oversee these policies and procedures?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– What core IT system are you using? Does it have an ERM or risk assessment module; and if so, have you used it?
– How can you tell if the actions you plan to take will contain the impact of a potential cyber threat?
– Does our company have a Cybersecurity policy, strategy, or governing document?
– Are new risks introduced as a result of the identified risks being controlled?
– How do we appropriately integrate Cybersecurity risk into business risk?
– How will investment in ITRM be distributed in the next 12 months?
– Are Cybersecurity criteria used for vendor and device selection?
– Is there a centralized fraud and risk management team?
– What work has been done internally to establish an ERM process?
– Who performs your companys IT risk assessments?
– Is Cybersecurity Insurance coverage a must?
– Is the risk above an acceptable level?
– Are executives sufficiently informed of risk?
– What risks do we face?
SOA governance Critical Criteria:
Transcribe SOA governance leadership and grade techniques for implementing SOA governance controls.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Governance Risk and Compliance information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– When a Governance Risk and Compliance manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Security sector governance and reform Critical Criteria:
Understand Security sector governance and reform adoptions and integrate design thinking in Security sector governance and reform innovation.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Governance Risk and Compliance leader?
– Is maximizing Governance Risk and Compliance protection the same as minimizing Governance Risk and Compliance loss?
Simulation governance Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Simulation governance strategies and adjust implementation of Simulation governance.
Soil governance Critical Criteria:
Check Soil governance tactics and probe the present value of growth of Soil governance.
– Is the Governance Risk and Compliance organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Can we do Governance Risk and Compliance without complex (expensive) analysis?
Sustainable Governance Indicators Critical Criteria:
Focus on Sustainable Governance Indicators goals and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are our needs in relation to Governance Risk and Compliance skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Technology governance Critical Criteria:
Discuss Technology governance quality and optimize Technology governance leadership as a key to advancement.
Transnational governance Critical Criteria:
Consult on Transnational governance planning and perfect Transnational governance conflict management.
– What vendors make products that address the Governance Risk and Compliance needs?
– What are our Governance Risk and Compliance Processes?
Website governance Critical Criteria:
Confer re Website governance planning and look at the big picture.
– How do we keep improving Governance Risk and Compliance?
World Governance Index Critical Criteria:
Grade World Governance Index decisions and separate what are the business goals World Governance Index is aiming to achieve.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Governance Risk and Compliance project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Governance Risk and Compliance project lifecycle?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Governance Risk and Compliance activities?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Governance Risk and Compliance Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Governance Risk and Compliance External links:
Eukleia Training | Governance Risk and Compliance …
Governance Risk and Compliance Solutions – infor.com
Governance, risk management, and compliance External links:
Career Path – Governance, Risk Management, and Compliance …
Chief compliance officer External links:
General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer Daniel Follis, Jr.
Chief Compliance Officer Support – Consumer Banking
Chief governance officer External links:
Chief Governance Officer, OSGE | Devex
Climate governance External links:
Experiments in climate governance – A systematic review …
It’s time for new climate governance – from below
Clinical governance External links:
Clinical Governance Essays – ManyEssays.com
Clinical governance (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Definition of Clinical Governance – KZN HEALTH
Collaborative governance External links:
Welcome to Collaborative Governance
Collaborative Governance Home Page – Mass General
Consortium on Collaborative Governance | Bedrosian …
Conformity assessment External links:
ABCAB | Accreditation Board for Conformity Assessment …
Conformity assessment | NIST
Corporate governance External links:
Morgan Stanley Corporate Governance
Mattel Inc. – About Us – Corporate Governance – Related Links
Regions Financial Corporation – Corporate Governance
Cultural governance External links:
The Audit Committee and Cultural Governance – WSJ
Cultural Governance in Contemporary China: “Re …
What do we mean by Cultural Governance? – YouTube
Data governance External links:
Data Governance Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Dataguise | Sensitive Data Governance
7 Best Practices for Data Governance in Healthcare
Earth system governance External links:
Earth System Governance | The MIT Press
Earth System Governance Project – Home | Facebook
Ecclesiastical polity External links:
Of the laws of ecclesiastical polity – Internet Archive
Enterprise risk management External links:
GSA launches Enterprise Risk Management Playbook
Riskonnect: Integrated Enterprise Risk Management …
[PDF]Guide to Enterprise Risk Management – Office of The …
Environmental governance External links:
Environmental Governance | A research collaboration …
Global governance External links:
The Challenge of Global Governance | The Nation
[PDF]The Multinational Corporation and Global Governance
CFR Unveils Global Governance Agenda – Infowars
Governance in higher education External links:
ERIC – Overview: Governance in Higher Education- …
[PDF]Shared Governance in Higher Education
Information Technology External links:
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Information governance External links:
Information Governance (IG) – AHIMA Home
Information Governance FAQs – AHIMA Home
Information Governance Initiative
Information system External links:
Buildings Information System (BIS) – New York City
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: …
Local governance External links:
CUNY Institute for State & Local Governance – Home | Facebook
Regional and Local Governance – Home
Network governance External links:
Network governance: PwC
UTSCAP Network Governance – UTSW Medicine
Ocean governance External links:
Ocean Governance for Sustainability – Challenges, …
Ocean Governance | U.S. Department of the Interior
Political party governance External links:
On Malawi political party governance | Malawi Nyasa …
Private governance External links:
Ed Stringham: Private Governance | Mises Institute
[PDF]Merging Public and Private Governance: How Disney’s …
Public & Private Governance Flashcards | Quizlet
Project governance External links:
Project Governance Plans: Execution and Oversight
400: IT PROJECT GOVERNANCE – OIT
[PDF]IT Project Governance Manual Version 1
Records management External links:
Library of Virginia Records Management
Records Management Policy | Policies & Procedures
National Archives Records Management Information Page
Regulatory compliance External links:
Legal and Regulatory Compliance | Dell
Brandywine Drumlabels – GHS Regulatory Compliance …
What is regulatory compliance? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Risk appetite External links:
Risk Appetite – BrightTALK
Risk Appetite – Aon
Risk management External links:
Celgene Risk Management
Driver Risk Management Solutions | AlertDriving
SOA governance External links:
A case for SOA governance – ibm.com
SOA Governance Standards | OCIO
SOA governance technologies – Gartner IT Glossary
Security sector governance and reform External links:
Security Sector Governance and Reform: Guidelines for …
Simulation governance External links:
[PDF]Simulation governance: New technical …
Simulation Governance Althea de Souza – ESRD
Technology governance External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Governance
Information Technology Governance Committee – Just …
Website governance External links:
Website Governance | Smith College
World Governance Index External links:
WGI abbreviation stands for World Governance Index
World Governance Index and Pakistan’s Trade Deficit – …