What is involved in Penetration Testing
Find out what the related areas are that Penetration Testing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Penetration Testing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Penetration Testing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Penetration Testing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Penetration Testing related domains to cover and 150 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Penetration Testing, Penetration test, Amazon Standard Identification Number, Arch Linux, BlackArch Linux, Black box, Burp Suite, CBS Interactive, Commercial software, Free software, General Services Administration, Gentoo Linux, IT risk, Information technology security audit, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Metasploit Project, National Security Agency, OWASP ZAP, Parrot Security OS, Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, RAND Corporation, Risk assessment, SANS Institute, Software system, Standard penetration test, System Development Corporation, Systems analysis, Tiger team, Tiger teams, United States Department of Defense, White box:
Penetration Testing Critical Criteria:
Focus on Penetration Testing strategies and report on the economics of relationships managing Penetration Testing and constraints.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Penetration Testing? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Penetration Testing process?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Penetration Testing project?
Penetration test Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Penetration test engagements and acquire concise Penetration test education.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Penetration Testing process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Penetration Testing process available?
– Is a vulnerability scan or penetration test performed on all internet-facing applications and systems before they go into production?
– Is there a Penetration Testing Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– To what extent does management recognize Penetration Testing as a tool to increase the results?
Amazon Standard Identification Number Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Amazon Standard Identification Number results and test out new things.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Penetration Testing process?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Penetration Testing strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Penetration Testing forward?
Arch Linux Critical Criteria:
Pilot Arch Linux projects and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Arch Linux decisions.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Penetration Testing leader?
– Is maximizing Penetration Testing protection the same as minimizing Penetration Testing loss?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Penetration Testing project manager?
BlackArch Linux Critical Criteria:
Investigate BlackArch Linux tactics and document what potential BlackArch Linux megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How can you negotiate Penetration Testing successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How do we Identify specific Penetration Testing investment and emerging trends?
– Do we all define Penetration Testing in the same way?
Black box Critical Criteria:
Derive from Black box outcomes and track iterative Black box results.
– How likely is the current Penetration Testing plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Penetration Testing objectives?
Burp Suite Critical Criteria:
Explore Burp Suite tasks and oversee Burp Suite requirements.
– Think of your Penetration Testing project. what are the main functions?
– Will Penetration Testing deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What are our Penetration Testing Processes?
CBS Interactive Critical Criteria:
Face CBS Interactive tasks and work towards be a leading CBS Interactive expert.
– For your Penetration Testing project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Penetration Testing requirements in detail?
– How can skill-level changes improve Penetration Testing?
Commercial software Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Commercial software strategies and change contexts.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Penetration Testing services/products?
– Does Penetration Testing analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Is Penetration Testing Required?
Free software Critical Criteria:
Understand Free software quality and adjust implementation of Free software.
– Which customers cant participate in our Penetration Testing domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Have you identified your Penetration Testing key performance indicators?
General Services Administration Critical Criteria:
Examine General Services Administration adoptions and observe effective General Services Administration.
– Do we monitor the Penetration Testing decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– How is the value delivered by Penetration Testing being measured?
Gentoo Linux Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Gentoo Linux strategies and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Penetration Testing moving forward?
– How can we improve Penetration Testing?
IT risk Critical Criteria:
Align IT risk tactics and oversee implementation of IT risk.
– Do you have a good understanding of emerging technologies and business trends that are vital for the management of IT risks in a fast-changing environment?
– To what extent is the companys common control library utilized in implementing or re-engineering processes to align risk with control?
– Do you have enough focus on ITRM documentation to help formalize processes to increase communications and integration with ORM?
– Which is the financial loss that the organization will experience as a result of every possible security incident ?
– Risk Probability and Impact: How will the probabilities and impacts of risk items be assessed?
– What is the effect on the organizations mission if the system or information is not reliable?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Penetration Testing ?
– Do you have an IT risk program framework aligned to IT strategy and enterprise risk?
– Does your IT risk program have GRC tools or other tools and technology?
– To what extent are you involved in IT Risk Management at your company?
– Financial risk -can the organization afford to undertake the project?
– How important is the information to the user organizations mission?
– How will investment in ITRM be distributed in the next 12 months?
– How important is the system to the user organizations mission?
– Does the board have a manual and operating procedures?
– What drives the timing of your risk assessments?
– Who performs your companys IT risk assessments?
– What is the system-availability requirement?
– What could go wrong?
Information technology security audit Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Information technology security audit goals and drive action.
– How do we know that any Penetration Testing analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Focus on Massachusetts Institute of Technology quality and find out.
– Can we add value to the current Penetration Testing decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Penetration Testing project?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Penetration Testing study?
Metasploit Project Critical Criteria:
Grasp Metasploit Project results and slay a dragon.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Penetration Testing, including any consulting or professional services?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Penetration Testing leaders?
National Security Agency Critical Criteria:
Discourse National Security Agency adoptions and transcribe National Security Agency as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Do the Penetration Testing decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What business benefits will Penetration Testing goals deliver if achieved?
OWASP ZAP Critical Criteria:
Review OWASP ZAP quality and perfect OWASP ZAP conflict management.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Penetration Testing processes?
Parrot Security OS Critical Criteria:
Confer re Parrot Security OS quality and handle a jump-start course to Parrot Security OS.
– In what ways are Penetration Testing vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Penetration Testing that make it risky?
– What threat is Penetration Testing addressing?
Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard Critical Criteria:
Merge Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard failures and assess what counts with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard that we are not counting.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Penetration Testing workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Penetration Testing? There might be some that are less obvious?
RAND Corporation Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about RAND Corporation tactics and oversee RAND Corporation management by competencies.
– How do we go about Comparing Penetration Testing approaches/solutions?
– Why is Penetration Testing important for you now?
– Do we have past Penetration Testing Successes?
Risk assessment Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Risk assessment governance and report on setting up Risk assessment without losing ground.
– Have the it security cost for the any investment/project been integrated in to the overall cost including (c&a/re-accreditation, system security plan, risk assessment, privacy impact assessment, configuration/patch management, security control testing and evaluation, and contingency planning/testing)?
– Are interdependent service providers (for example, fuel suppliers, telecommunications providers, meter data processors) included in risk assessments?
– Is the risk assessment approach defined and suited to the ISMS, identified business information security, legal and regulatory requirements?
– Does the risk assessment approach helps to develop the criteria for accepting risks and identify the acceptable level risk?
– What core IT system are you using? Does it have an ERM or risk assessment module; and if so, have you used it?
– Does the process include a BIA, risk assessments, Risk Management, and risk monitoring and testing?
– Is the priority of the preventive action determined based on the results of the risk assessment?
– Is Penetration Testing dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How does your company report on its information and technology risk assessment?
– Who performs your companys information and technology risk assessments?
– How often are information and technology risk assessments performed?
– How are risk assessment and audit results communicated to executives?
– Are regular risk assessments executed across all entities?
– Does Penetration Testing appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Are regular risk assessments executed across all entities?
– Are risk assessments at planned intervals reviewed?
– What triggers a risk assessment?
SANS Institute Critical Criteria:
Explore SANS Institute management and handle a jump-start course to SANS Institute.
– In a project to restructure Penetration Testing outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is Supporting Penetration Testing documentation required?
Software system Critical Criteria:
Check Software system adoptions and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Software system.
– Imagine a scenario where you engage a software group to build a critical software system. Do you think you could provide every last detail the developers need to know right off the bat?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Penetration Testing is underway?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Penetration Testing opportunities costing us money?
– Does the software system satisfy the expectations of the user?
– What are the short and long-term Penetration Testing goals?
– What does it mean to develop a quality software system?
– Is the software system functionally adequate?
– Is the software system productive?
– Is the software system efficient?
– Is the software system effective?
– Is the software system reliable?
– Is the software system usable?
– Is the software system safe?
Standard penetration test Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Standard penetration test strategies and report on developing an effective Standard penetration test strategy.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Penetration Testing been identified and analyzed?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Penetration Testing Management?
System Development Corporation Critical Criteria:
Graph System Development Corporation governance and correct better engagement with System Development Corporation results.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Penetration Testing?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Penetration Testing effort?
Systems analysis Critical Criteria:
Gauge Systems analysis engagements and improve Systems analysis service perception.
– Are there important aspects of system components that cannot be measured adequately at this time?
– What are the important external or multisectoral determinants of system performance?
– How should one include criteria of equity and efficiency in performance assessment?
– What are the principal mechanisms likely to bring about performance improvements?
– What process must the company go through to obtain and implement a new system?
– What important aspects need to be considered during a feasibility study?
– What are the five steps in the systems development life cycle (sdlc)?
– How should Systems Analysis incorporate multisectoral components?
– Could a particular task be done more quickly or more efficiently?
– What records are kept and how do they fit in with the functions?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– Is this an acceptable application of a disruptive technology?
– What are examples of nonmeasurable benefits of new systems?
– Why is planning an important step in systems development?
– What are the system analyst s and programmer s roles?
– What types of systems development plans are needed?
– What are the steering committee s roles?
– Will it work with current systems?
– What are top managements roles?
– Can a step be eliminated?
Tiger team Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Tiger team strategies and explore and align the progress in Tiger team.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Penetration Testing strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Penetration Testing with what users do day-to-day?
Tiger teams Critical Criteria:
Canvass Tiger teams management and define Tiger teams competency-based leadership.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Penetration Testing models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Penetration Testing agendas for the next 3 years?
United States Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Meet over United States Department of Defense goals and find the ideas you already have.
– Does Penetration Testing include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What is our formula for success in Penetration Testing ?
White box Critical Criteria:
Adapt White box goals and cater for concise White box education.
– What are the barriers to increased Penetration Testing production?
– Who needs to know about Penetration Testing ?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Penetration Testing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Penetration Testing External links:
Black Hills Information Security – Penetration Testing …
Penetration Testing – Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Penetration test External links:
[PDF]Standard Penetration Test Driller’s / Operator’s …
Standard Penetration Test – Geotechdata.info
BREAK BARREL VS PCP PENETRATION TEST – YouTube
Amazon Standard Identification Number External links:
Amazon Standard Identification Number – YouTube
Amazon Standard Identification Number – Infogalactic: …
Arch Linux External links:
Arch Linux ARM – Official Site
Twitch Installs Arch Linux
Arch Linux 32
BlackArch Linux External links:
GitHub – BlackArch/blackarch: BlackArch Linux is an …
BlackArch Linux – Penetration Testing Distribution
How to Install BlackArch Linux — A Hacker’s OS – YouTube
Black box External links:
BBOX Analysis & News – Black Box Corporation | Seeking …
Black Box – Official Site
Burp Suite External links:
Burp Suite release notes: 1.7.32 – releases.portswigger.net
Getting Started With Burp Suite – PortSwigger
Burp Suite | Penetration Testing Tools
CBS Interactive External links:
Homepage :: CBS Interactive
CBS Interactive | CBS Corporation
Commercial software External links:
Commercial Software Assessment Guideline | …
Commercial Software Errors | Department of Taxes
TCR | Commercial Software Submissions
Free software External links:
Top Free Software Downloads – Windows and Mac Programs
Paint.NET – Free Software for Digital Photo Editing
FileHippo – Downloads Free Software
General Services Administration External links:
IdenTrust – General Services Administration – eOffer
GSA – U.S. General Services Administration | OfficeSupply…
Gentoo Linux External links:
Cohabiting FreeBSD and Gentoo Linux on a Common …
Gentoo Linux Security Advisory 201801-14 ≈ Packet Storm
Getting started with Gentoo – Gentoo Linux
IT risk External links:
IT Risk Management – Gartner
IT Risk Register | EDUCAUSE
IT Risk Management and Compliance Solutions | Telos
Massachusetts Institute of Technology External links:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Niche
Metasploit Project External links:
Metasploit Project Archives · GitHub
Metasploit Project (@metasploit) | Twitter
Popular Metasploit Project & Nessus videos – YouTube
National Security Agency External links:
Internships / National Security Agency (NSA)
National Security Agency – The New York Times
National Security Agency for Intelligence Careers
OWASP ZAP External links:
OWASP ZAP Developer Group – Google Groups
GitHub – zaproxy/zap-extensions: OWASP ZAP Add-ons
OWASP ZAP Tutorial | OWASP ACADEMY
Parrot Security OS External links:
Parrot Security OS 3.11 Released with Powerful Hacking …
Parrot Security OS – Computer Company – Facebook
DistroWatch.com: Parrot Security OS
Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard External links:
[PDF]Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI …
Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard …
RAND Corporation External links:
RAND Corporation – GuideStar Profile
RAND Corporation | American think tank | Britannica.com
RAND Corporation – Google+
Risk assessment External links:
Risk Assessment Tools | OpioidRisk
Risk Assessment : OSH Answers
Risk Management | Risk Assessment | US EPA
SANS Institute External links:
Sign In | SANS Institute | Academic Software Discounts
Software system External links:
BestNotes | EHR and EMR Mental Health Software System
Software System Requirements – CCH SFS
Standard penetration test External links:
[PDF]Standard Penetration Test Driller’s / Operator’s …
The Standard Penetration Test (SPT) – ProjectEngineer
Standard Penetration Test – Geotechdata.info
System Development Corporation External links:
System Development Corporation
Career System Development Corporation – Yelp
System Development Corporation
Systems analysis External links:
[PDF]Measurement Systems Analysis
P E Systems | Systems Analysis | Technology Services
SKM Systems Analysis, Inc. – Power System Software and …
Tiger team External links:
Faculty / Staff / KB Polk Tiger Team
http://A tiger team is a group of experts assigned to investigate and/or solve technical or systemic problems. A 1964 paper defined the term as “a team of undomesticated and uninhibited technical specialists, selected for their experience, energy, and imagination, and assigned to track down relentlessly every possible source of failure in a spacecraft subsystem.”
Tiger Team Store Merchandise
Tiger teams External links:
Rawlings Tigers Baseball | Tiger Teams / Record Book
Tiger Teams – Pickerington Elementary
Rawlings Tigers Baseball | Tiger Teams / Softball
United States Department of Defense External links:
United States Department of Defense – Official Site
United States Department of Defense Standards of …
United States Department of Defense News
White box External links:
Celebrate It™ White Box – Michaels
Avery Permanent Shipping Labels With TrueBlock Technology 5163 2 x 4 White Box Of 1000 at Office Depot & OfficeMax. Now One Company.
GO SMILE: The White Box Teeth Whitening Kit