What is involved in Active Directory
Find out what the related areas are that Active Directory connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Active Directory thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Active Directory Rights Management Services journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Active Directory Rights Management Services leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Active Directory related domains to cover and 141 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Active Directory, System Idle Process, Microsoft Narrator, System administrator, GIANT Company Software, Kernel Patch Protection, Windows Live Toolbar, Microsoft Corp. v. Shah, Microsoft Research, Microsoft Japan, Disk Defragmenter, Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit, Logical Disk Manager, Microsoft Management Console, Revolution Analytics, Perceptive Pixel, Windows Hardware Error Architecture, Windows Script Host, User Interface Privilege Isolation, Server Core, Schema object, Windows Resource Protection, Microsoft litigation, Microsoft Garage, Microsoft engineering groups, Single sign-on, Web page, Domain Name System, Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft, Win32 console, Open XML Paper Specification, Criticism of Microsoft, DVD Player, File system, Windows Server 2003 R2, Universal Windows Platform, Hard link, Windows Registry, MSN Food & Drink, Security identifier, Microsoft Spider Solitaire, Pando Networks, Office Assistant, Service Control Manager, Installable File System, .NET Foundation, Windows Anytime Upgrade, Windows Mobility Center, Quick Assist, Windows Mobile Device Center, Application programming interface, Windows Installer, Groove Music, Control Panel, Microsoft Notepad, COM Structured Storage, Windows Search:
Active Directory Critical Criteria:
Recall Active Directory strategies and know what your objective is.
– Does the tool in use have the ability to integrate with Active Directory or sync directory on a scheduled basis, or do look-ups within a multi-domain forest in the sub-100-millisecond range?
– Does the tool we use have the ability to integrate with Enterprise Active Directory Servers to determine users and build user, role, and business unit policies?
– If we integrate an external product with active directory, will it require that we modify our ad schema?
– Do we monitor the Active Directory decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Active Directory ?
– Provide the ability to synchronize active directory with cloud-based endpoints?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Active Directory leaders?
– What is the process of adding users and deleting users from Active Directory?
– What happens if a user changes their password natively in active directory?
– Enable unix and linux authentication from active directory?
– Does your software integrate with active directory?
System Idle Process Critical Criteria:
Substantiate System Idle Process goals and point out System Idle Process tensions in leadership.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Active Directory experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Active Directory leader?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Active Directory activities?
Microsoft Narrator Critical Criteria:
Track Microsoft Narrator adoptions and pay attention to the small things.
– what is the best design framework for Active Directory organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Active Directory objectives?
– How do we Identify specific Active Directory investment and emerging trends?
System administrator Critical Criteria:
Experiment with System administrator visions and track iterative System administrator results.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Active Directory process?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Active Directory?
– What is the purpose of Active Directory in relation to the mission?
– Who is the System Administrator?
GIANT Company Software Critical Criteria:
Set goals for GIANT Company Software results and create GIANT Company Software explanations for all managers.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Active Directory. How do we gain traction?
– How can you negotiate Active Directory successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Kernel Patch Protection Critical Criteria:
Adapt Kernel Patch Protection projects and adjust implementation of Kernel Patch Protection.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Active Directory is underway?
– Which Active Directory goals are the most important?
Windows Live Toolbar Critical Criteria:
Face Windows Live Toolbar visions and report on developing an effective Windows Live Toolbar strategy.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Active Directory study?
– How do we Lead with Active Directory in Mind?
Microsoft Corp. v. Shah Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Microsoft Corp. v. Shah strategies and report on the economics of relationships managing Microsoft Corp. v. Shah and constraints.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Active Directory goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Who needs to know about Active Directory ?
Microsoft Research Critical Criteria:
Dissect Microsoft Research projects and catalog what business benefits will Microsoft Research goals deliver if achieved.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Active Directory strengthening and reform actually originate?
Microsoft Japan Critical Criteria:
Steer Microsoft Japan outcomes and ask questions.
– Think of your Active Directory project. what are the main functions?
Disk Defragmenter Critical Criteria:
Rank Disk Defragmenter goals and innovate what needs to be done with Disk Defragmenter.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Active Directory Management?
– What is our formula for success in Active Directory ?
Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit Critical Criteria:
Generalize Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit leadership and slay a dragon.
– Is Supporting Active Directory documentation required?
– What threat is Active Directory addressing?
Logical Disk Manager Critical Criteria:
Participate in Logical Disk Manager tasks and transcribe Logical Disk Manager as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Active Directory services/products?
– Is the Active Directory organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What are internal and external Active Directory relations?
Microsoft Management Console Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Microsoft Management Console decisions and assess and formulate effective operational and Microsoft Management Console strategies.
– How do we measure improved Active Directory service perception, and satisfaction?
– How important is Active Directory to the user organizations mission?
– Why should we adopt a Active Directory framework?
Revolution Analytics Critical Criteria:
Depict Revolution Analytics goals and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Revolution Analytics projects.
– How likely is the current Active Directory plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Are accountability and ownership for Active Directory clearly defined?
– What are our Active Directory Processes?
Perceptive Pixel Critical Criteria:
X-ray Perceptive Pixel visions and pay attention to the small things.
– What are our needs in relation to Active Directory skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What are all of our Active Directory domains and what do they do?
Windows Hardware Error Architecture Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Windows Hardware Error Architecture failures and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Windows Hardware Error Architecture.
Windows Script Host Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Windows Script Host engagements and assess and formulate effective operational and Windows Script Host strategies.
– Can we do Active Directory without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How do we go about Comparing Active Directory approaches/solutions?
User Interface Privilege Isolation Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about User Interface Privilege Isolation leadership and adjust implementation of User Interface Privilege Isolation.
– When a Active Directory manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How will you know that the Active Directory project has been successful?
Server Core Critical Criteria:
Steer Server Core planning and question.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Active Directory process?
– How is the value delivered by Active Directory being measured?
Schema object Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Schema object leadership and describe which business rules are needed as Schema object interface.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Active Directory products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Is Active Directory dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Windows Resource Protection Critical Criteria:
Discourse Windows Resource Protection visions and look in other fields.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Active Directory into the services that we provide?
– How to Secure Active Directory?
Microsoft litigation Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Microsoft litigation goals and ask questions.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Active Directory does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What are the barriers to increased Active Directory production?
– Do we have past Active Directory Successes?
Microsoft Garage Critical Criteria:
Talk about Microsoft Garage results and intervene in Microsoft Garage processes and leadership.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Active Directory information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
Microsoft engineering groups Critical Criteria:
Value Microsoft engineering groups strategies and find out.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Active Directory?
– What are the usability implications of Active Directory actions?
Single sign-on Critical Criteria:
Pilot Single sign-on results and question.
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Active Directory with what users do day-to-day?
Web page Critical Criteria:
Look at Web page visions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Web page.
– Does your department or organizational unit manage or support computing resources (data bases, hardware, web pages, etc.) that are used by people that access those resources from outside your department?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Active Directory project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Active Directory project lifecycle?
– A major challenge in indexing a web site involves the level of granularity of indexing. Do you index web pages?
– How to deal with Active Directory Changes?
– Do you index web pages?
Domain Name System Critical Criteria:
Discourse Domain Name System tactics and tour deciding if Domain Name System progress is made.
– Consider your own Active Directory project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are the business goals Active Directory is aiming to achieve?
Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft management and question.
– How do we Improve Active Directory service perception, and satisfaction?
– Who will provide the final approval of Active Directory deliverables?
– How can the value of Active Directory be defined?
Win32 console Critical Criteria:
Infer Win32 console tactics and define what our big hairy audacious Win32 console goal is.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Active Directory?
– What will drive Active Directory change?
Open XML Paper Specification Critical Criteria:
Apply Open XML Paper Specification strategies and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Open XML Paper Specification is getting what it needs.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Active Directory, including any consulting or professional services?
– How do we maintain Active Directorys Integrity?
Criticism of Microsoft Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Criticism of Microsoft adoptions and intervene in Criticism of Microsoft processes and leadership.
– Will Active Directory deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What is our Active Directory Strategy?
DVD Player Critical Criteria:
Accumulate DVD Player issues and reduce DVD Player costs.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Active Directory requirements in detail?
File system Critical Criteria:
Gauge File system goals and adopt an insight outlook.
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
Windows Server 2003 R2 Critical Criteria:
Debate over Windows Server 2003 R2 failures and grade techniques for implementing Windows Server 2003 R2 controls.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Active Directory process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Active Directory process available?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Active Directory workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Is maximizing Active Directory protection the same as minimizing Active Directory loss?
Universal Windows Platform Critical Criteria:
Audit Universal Windows Platform planning and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Universal Windows Platform projects.
– Does Active Directory systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Active Directory project?
Hard link Critical Criteria:
Canvass Hard link visions and track iterative Hard link results.
– Do Active Directory rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Are we Assessing Active Directory and Risk?
Windows Registry Critical Criteria:
Confer over Windows Registry planning and look at the big picture.
MSN Food & Drink Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over MSN Food & Drink failures and know what your objective is.
– What is the source of the strategies for Active Directory strengthening and reform?
Security identifier Critical Criteria:
Match Security identifier visions and adjust implementation of Security identifier.
– Have you identified your Active Directory key performance indicators?
Microsoft Spider Solitaire Critical Criteria:
Grade Microsoft Spider Solitaire tasks and shift your focus.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Active Directory in a volatile global economy?
Pando Networks Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Pando Networks tasks and define what do we need to start doing with Pando Networks.
Office Assistant Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Office Assistant results and cater for concise Office Assistant education.
– Is the scope of Active Directory defined?
Service Control Manager Critical Criteria:
See the value of Service Control Manager leadership and balance specific methods for improving Service Control Manager results.
Installable File System Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Installable File System leadership and oversee implementation of Installable File System.
– What vendors make products that address the Active Directory needs?
– Who sets the Active Directory standards?
.NET Foundation Critical Criteria:
Mine .NET Foundation management and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Active Directory process?
Windows Anytime Upgrade Critical Criteria:
Scan Windows Anytime Upgrade visions and describe which business rules are needed as Windows Anytime Upgrade interface.
– Are assumptions made in Active Directory stated explicitly?
Windows Mobility Center Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Windows Mobility Center failures and create a map for yourself.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Active Directory moving forward?
Quick Assist Critical Criteria:
Refer to Quick Assist decisions and optimize Quick Assist leadership as a key to advancement.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Active Directory strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– To what extent does management recognize Active Directory as a tool to increase the results?
Windows Mobile Device Center Critical Criteria:
Examine Windows Mobile Device Center projects and change contexts.
– Think about the functions involved in your Active Directory project. what processes flow from these functions?
Application programming interface Critical Criteria:
Pilot Application programming interface strategies and remodel and develop an effective Application programming interface strategy.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Active Directory been identified and analyzed?
– How do we manage Active Directory Knowledge Management (KM)?
Windows Installer Critical Criteria:
Examine Windows Installer issues and track iterative Windows Installer results.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Active Directory project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Active Directory is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
Groove Music Critical Criteria:
Start Groove Music goals and maintain Groove Music for success.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Active Directory? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
Control Panel Critical Criteria:
Mix Control Panel failures and innovate what needs to be done with Control Panel.
– For your Active Directory project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Active Directory values?
– How much does Active Directory help?
Microsoft Notepad Critical Criteria:
Participate in Microsoft Notepad strategies and cater for concise Microsoft Notepad education.
– How would one define Active Directory leadership?
COM Structured Storage Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate COM Structured Storage planning and mentor COM Structured Storage customer orientation.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Active Directory processes of our organization?
Windows Search Critical Criteria:
Value Windows Search tactics and secure Windows Search creativity.
– Can we add value to the current Active Directory decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Active Directory Rights Management Services Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Active Directory External links:
User Attributes – Inside Active Directory
How to change display names of Active Directory users
Active Directory – Access & identity – IDaaS | Microsoft Azure
System Idle Process External links:
How To Fix “System Idle Process” taking too much CPU – YouTube
The system idle process is a process which runs on the computer and displays how much idle time the CPU is having at any particular time. It runs when the computer system has no task to perform. Therefore the users generally find that the system idle process is running with extremely high CPU percentage.
My Windows System Idle Process is high – Computer Hope
Microsoft Narrator External links:
How to Turn Off the Microsoft Narrator Start Up: 9 Steps
System administrator External links:
Title System Administrator Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
System Administrator Jobs – Monster.com
GIANT Company Software External links:
GIANT Company Software | Crunchbase
Windows Live Toolbar External links:
Windows Live Toolbar (Windows) – Download
Windows Live Toolbar – Free Download
Windows Live Toolbar – Free Download
Microsoft Corp. v. Shah External links:
Microsoft Corp. v. Shah – topics.revolvy.com
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Microsoft Corp. v. Shah
Microsoft Corp. v. Shah – pediaview.com
Microsoft Corp. v. Shah – WOW.com
Microsoft Research External links:
Human Experience and Design: Microsoft Research
Irene Y. Zhang: I am a researcher at Microsoft Research
Microsoft Research (@MSFTResearch) | Twitter
Microsoft Japan External links:
Microsoft Japan Startup Community – Photos | Facebook
Disk Defragmenter External links:
How to use the Disk Defragmenter in Windows 8.1 – YouTube
Disk Defragmenter Tools and Settings: Local File Systems
How Disk Defragmenter Works: Local File Systems
Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit External links:
Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit Newsroom – News Center
Logical Disk Manager External links:
Logical Disk Manager Not Starting – Windows 2000/NT
Microsoft Management Console External links:
Download Microsoft Management Console 3.0 for …
Microsoft Management Console – Overview
What is the Microsoft Management Console?
Revolution Analytics External links:
Revolution Analytics · GitHub
Revolution Analytics | Crunchbase
News Revolution Analytics – The Official Board
Perceptive Pixel External links:
Perceptive Pixel by Microsoft device connectivity guide
Support for Perceptive Pixel by Microsoft devices
Perceptive pixel – YouTube
Windows Hardware Error Architecture External links:
Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA) Cmdlets …
Windows Script Host External links:
How to remove Windows Script Host Virus – YouTube
Converting the Windows Script Host SendKeys Method
Microsoft – Disabling Windows Script Host
User Interface Privilege Isolation External links:
UIPI means User Interface Privilege Isolation – All Acronyms
User Interface Privilege Isolation – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
User Interface Privilege Isolation – Revolvy
Server Core External links:
What Is Server Core? – msdn.microsoft.com
Configuring a Server Core installation: Overview
Determining Whether Server Core Is Running (Windows)
Schema object External links:
Overview of Schema Objects – Oracle Help Center
Problem migrating any schema object in 5.7.3 (154519)
Windows Resource Protection External links:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but …
Event ID 1030 — Windows Installer Windows Resource Protection
Microsoft litigation External links:
Groklaw – Microsoft Litigation Resource Page
microsoft litigation Archives – Zoli’s Blog
Microsoft Garage External links:
My Workspace, a Microsoft Garage project
Personal Shopping Assistant, a Microsoft Garage project
Single sign-on External links:
UAH Single Sign-On
EAMS-A Single Sign-On
JCCC Single Sign-on
Web page External links:
McIntosh School Web Page
USPS – Web Tools Registration Web Page
HR Premier Web Page
Domain Name System External links:
Domain Name System (DNS) | Microsoft Docs
Domain Name System (DNS) Services — Verizon ROUTE
Domain Name System | NTIA
Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft External links:
Microsoft vs. Mikerowesoft | KOMO
Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft – Priceonomics
Criticism of Microsoft External links:
DVD Player External links:
How to connect a standard DVD player to a TV – YouTube
Xbox One DVD Player | Xbox One Blu-ray | Xbox One Video
Dvd Player – Free downloads and reviews – CNET Download.com
File system External links:
Description of the FAT32 File System – support.microsoft.com
Distributed File System
Universal Windows Platform External links:
More Resources for Universal Windows Platform Games …
Command design basics for Universal Windows Platform …
Universal Windows Platform Bridges – Windows app …
Hard link External links:
In Unix, what is a hard link? – Indiana University
Windows Registry External links:
Windows Registry (What It Is and How To Use It)
How do I open and edit the Windows Registry – Computer Hope
How to Clean the Windows Registry by Hand (with Pictures)
MSN Food & Drink External links:
Recipes, Tips, Restaurants, Chefs & News – MSN Food & Drink
Security identifier External links:
Everyone group does not include anonymous security identifier
[PDF]Security identifier 121013 – vsu.edu
Microsoft Spider Solitaire External links:
Microsoft Spider Solitaire Download – YouTube
Pando Networks External links:
Pando Networks | Crunchbase
Pando Networks Competitors – CB Insights
Pando Networks Company Profile | Owler
Office Assistant External links:
Office Assistant – Florida Gulf Coast University
**Charms Office Assistant
[PDF]Job Description: Office Assistant – Sacramento – SCOE
Service Control Manager External links:
Service Control Manager – technet.microsoft.com
Installable File System External links:
Ext2 Installable File System – Download
Exchange Installable File System drive is enabled
Installable File System
http://The Installable File System (IFS) is a filesystem API in IBM OS/2 and Microsoft Windows that enables the operating system to recognize and load drivers for file systems. It is part of the Windows Driver Kit.
.NET Foundation External links:
Source Men’s Tee T-Shirt | .NET Foundation Swag
Contributor License Agreement (CLA) – .NET Foundation
Akka.NET has Joined the .NET Foundation | Petabridge
Windows Anytime Upgrade External links:
Windows Anytime Upgrade Product Keys! 100% WORK – YouTube
Microsoft Windows Anytime Upgrade: Windows 7 Home …
Windows Mobility Center External links:
Windows Mobility Center (Laptops only) – Owens FAQ
Quick Assist External links:
[PDF]Quick Assist Loan Application for Active Duty Sailors …
About Quick Assist | Business Performance Applications
Quick Assist Remote Support
Windows Mobile Device Center External links:
Windows Mobile Device Center (Windows) – Download
Windows Mobile Device Center how-to guide | T-Mobile Support
Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 Driver for Windows …
Application programming interface External links:
BEA Data Application Programming Interface (API)
Windows Installer External links:
Home Improvement Jobs | Siding and Windows Installer …
Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (Windows) – Download
Windows Installer Package – technet.microsoft.com
Groove Music External links:
Groove Music and Spotify: FAQ – support.microsoft.com
Overview of the Groove Music API | Microsoft Docs
Control Panel External links:
Administration Management Control Panel | Login
MCProHosting Control Panel
MasterCall™ Control Panel
Microsoft Notepad External links:
Writing HTML in Microsoft Notepad for Windows – ThoughtCo
I Hate Microsoft Notepad – Home | Facebook
[DOC]Working with CSV files in Microsoft Notepad or …
Windows Search External links:
Event ID 3014 — Windows Search
Windows Search (Windows) – Download
Windows Search Features – technet.microsoft.com