What is involved in information engineering
Find out what the related areas are that information engineering connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a information engineering thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its information engineering journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward information engineering leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which information engineering related domains to cover and 132 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
information engineering, Application development, Australia, Bioinformatics, Business driven, Business process reengineering, Business re-engineering, Clive Finkelstein, Computer-aided software engineering, Computer Science, Data analysis, Database administrator, Database design, Entity-relationship model, Information Architecture, Information Engineering Facility, Information Technology, Information system, Information systems, Integrated Authority File, KnowledgeWare, Rapid application development, Software Engineering, Systems analyst, T.W. Olle, Texas Instruments Software:
information engineering Critical Criteria:
Devise information engineering leadership and transcribe information engineering as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether information engineering goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How to Secure information engineering?
Application development Critical Criteria:
Own Application development leadership and get answers.
– Can data in your non-production environments be protected, yet still be usable for training, application development and testing?
– How are we going to realize the benefits of reusability if we keep shrinking the analysis phase?
– Schedule feasibility -can the solution be designed and implemented within an acceptable time?
– What type of feasibility is concerned with whether the project can be completed on time?
– Who is responsible for modifying or developing programs to satisfy user requirements?
– Operational feasibility -will the solution fulfill the users requirements?
– What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a rad proces?
– Which sdlc results in the highest degree of user participation?
– Technical feasibility -is the solution technically practical?
– How do you measure system effectiveness in your organization?
– What primary problems might a new or enhanced system solve?
– Is there a need to exchange data with other applications?
– Economic feasibility -is the solution cost-effective?
– What are the potential costs (variable and fixed)?
– What is a key aspect of prototyping?
– How time-constrained is the project?
– What is important for us?
– Why are sdlcs important?
– Is it applicable?
Australia Critical Criteria:
Merge Australia issues and innovate what needs to be done with Australia.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once information engineering is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Do information engineering rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How do we Lead with information engineering in Mind?
Bioinformatics Critical Criteria:
Participate in Bioinformatics outcomes and plan concise Bioinformatics education.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to information engineering? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What business benefits will information engineering goals deliver if achieved?
Business driven Critical Criteria:
Derive from Business driven planning and prioritize challenges of Business driven.
– Does the information engineering task fit the clients priorities?
– How much does information engineering help?
Business process reengineering Critical Criteria:
Merge Business process reengineering adoptions and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Business process reengineering results.
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a information engineering strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective information engineering leader?
– Is information engineering dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Business re-engineering Critical Criteria:
Focus on Business re-engineering outcomes and assess and formulate effective operational and Business re-engineering strategies.
– Is Supporting information engineering documentation required?
– How can the value of information engineering be defined?
– Are we Assessing information engineering and Risk?
Clive Finkelstein Critical Criteria:
Consult on Clive Finkelstein adoptions and innovate what needs to be done with Clive Finkelstein.
– What management system can we use to leverage the information engineering experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What about information engineering Analysis of results?
– What are our information engineering Processes?
Computer-aided software engineering Critical Criteria:
Model after Computer-aided software engineering quality and grade techniques for implementing Computer-aided software engineering controls.
– Are assumptions made in information engineering stated explicitly?
– Is information engineering Required?
Computer Science Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Computer Science tactics and interpret which customers can’t participate in Computer Science because they lack skills.
– Which information engineering goals are the most important?
– How can we improve information engineering?
Data analysis Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Data analysis planning and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Data analysis.
– What is the difference between Data Analytics Data Analysis Data Mining and Data Science?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of information engineering?
– What are the Key enablers to make this information engineering move?
– What are some real time data analysis frameworks?
– What will drive information engineering change?
Database administrator Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Database administrator visions and acquire concise Database administrator education.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your information engineering project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What are the barriers to increased information engineering production?
Database design Critical Criteria:
Match Database design goals and create a map for yourself.
– Rapid application development (rad) techniques have been around for about two decades now and have been used with varying degrees of success. sometimes rad is required for certain projects. but rad can be bad for database design. why?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect information engineering workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Is there any existing information engineering governance structure?
– What threat is information engineering addressing?
Entity-relationship model Critical Criteria:
Chart Entity-relationship model projects and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are the key elements of your information engineering performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are the usability implications of information engineering actions?
Information Architecture Critical Criteria:
Grade Information Architecture quality and forecast involvement of future Information Architecture projects in development.
– Once youve designed the integrated navigation system, you can consider the addition of one or more remote navigation elements. In most cases, you will need to choose between a table of contents, an index, and a site map. Is the hierarchy strong and clear?
– How does one design a sites information architecture so that findability is balanced with discoverability?
– Is there a plan for ongoing measurement and evaluation of usage of internal and/or external information?
– How can an information architecture be designed to successfully convey scent during navigation?
– Is there a mechanism to leverage information for business analytics and optimization?
– Is there a mechanism to search related information based on information semantics?
– What should an experienced information architect be learning right now?
– Does your site have enough content to merit the use of a search engine?
– Have text analytics mechanisms like entity extraction been considered?
– How to integrate with relevance feedback (more like this)?
– Have the standard types of search been evaluated for use?
– Does the solution involve complex UI navigation?
– How should items (nodes) be related (linked)?
– Why do bad architectures happen so often?
– Is there a plan for managing vocabulary?
– Do you need a taxonomy strategy?
– What Do You Hate About the Web?
– Does Kanban work for UX Design?
– What Do We Hope to Accomplish?
– Do you index web pages?
Information Engineering Facility Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Information Engineering Facility projects and find out what it really means.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these information engineering processes?
– How do we ensure that implementations of information engineering products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Explore Information Technology planning and budget for Information Technology challenges.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– In what ways are information engineering vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– How do we Identify specific information engineering investment and emerging trends?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– Can we do information engineering without complex (expensive) analysis?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Understand Information system engagements and explain and analyze the challenges of Information system.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the information engineering process?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting information engineering with what users do day-to-day?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Information systems Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Information systems issues and improve Information systems service perception.
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Think of your information engineering project. what are the main functions?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Devise Integrated Authority File decisions and know what your objective is.
– Have all basic functions of information engineering been defined?
KnowledgeWare Critical Criteria:
Use past KnowledgeWare outcomes and get going.
– Do we all define information engineering in the same way?
Rapid application development Critical Criteria:
Mix Rapid application development governance and gather practices for scaling Rapid application development.
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– Consider your own information engineering project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Will applications programmers and systems analysts become nothing more than evaluators of packaged software?
– Which systems play a pivotal role in an organizations continued operations and goal attainment?
– What new hardware, software, databases or procedures will improve an existing system?
– Why wait years to develop systems likely to be obsolete upon completion?
– Is the functionality visible through the uis?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
– What is architected rad?
Software Engineering Critical Criteria:
Explore Software Engineering visions and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Software Engineering information.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing information engineering?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems analyst Critical Criteria:
Participate in Systems analyst planning and do something to it.
T.W. Olle Critical Criteria:
Systematize T.W. Olle visions and figure out ways to motivate other T.W. Olle users.
– Do the information engineering decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What is the purpose of information engineering in relation to the mission?
Texas Instruments Software Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Texas Instruments Software quality and create Texas Instruments Software explanations for all managers.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our information engineering agendas for the next 3 years?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your information engineering activities?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the information engineering Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
information engineering External links:
Information Engineering – Essential Strategies
Information engineering (Book, 1992) [WorldCat.org]
Information engineering (Book, 1981) [WorldCat.org]
Application development External links:
Application Development | FEMA.gov
Application development (Book, 1993) [WorldCat.org]
Application Development (AppDev) Defined and Explained
Australia External links:
Adobe Australia – Official Site
Cardboard DIY | Australia | Zygote Brown Designs
Bioinformatics External links:
Bioinformatics – UTEP
Curoverse | Arvados Bioinformatics and Biomedical …
NGS Services | Microarray Services | qPCR | Bioinformatics
Business driven External links:
miMeetings – For Business Driven
Advansys – Business Driven Technology
Business process reengineering External links:
BUSINESS PROCESS REENGINEERING: Essays
[PDF]Business Process Reengineering
Business re-engineering External links:
Business Re-engineering & Process Improvement – …
Using Symbolic Modeling in Business Re-Engineering
Clive Finkelstein External links:
Clive Finkelstein | Employee Benefit News
Computer-aided software engineering External links:
[PDF]Computer-Aided Software Engineering
Computer Science External links:
Department of Computer Science
USC Viterbi | Department of Computer Science
MyComputerCareer | Computer Science | IT Jobs | …
Data analysis External links:
AnswerMiner – Data analysis made easy
Data Analysis Examples – IDRE Stats
Regional Data Warehouse/Data Analysis Site
Database administrator External links:
[PDF]Title: Database Administrator Reports To: Director …
Database Administrator (DBA) Salary
Database Administrator Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
Database design External links:
[PDF]Title: Database Design – UDC CSIT
Entity-relationship model External links:
[PDF]Bachman’s Notation for Entity-Relationship Model
[PDF]Chapter 2: Entity-Relationship Model
Information Architecture External links:
Information Architecture Basics | Usability.gov
Information Architecture Resource Library | IA Institute
What is Information Architecture? | IA Institute
Information Engineering Facility External links:
IEF (Information Engineering Facility) | Maryrose Mallari
Information Technology External links:
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Box @ IU | University Information Technology Services
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
[PDF]National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Information systems External links:
Horizon Information Systems – Horizon Document Viewer
Mediware Information Systems
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
KnowledgeWare External links:
KnowledgeWare retries – connection.ebscohost.com
[PDF]V5 KnowledgeWare Solution – KS Design
catia Knowledgeware | Formula | Button (Computing)
Rapid application development External links:
Rapid Application Development for the Web | Radzen
RAD (rapid application development) – Gartner IT Glossary
Pega 7 Platform: Rapid Application Development | Pega
Software Engineering External links:
Codesmith | Software Engineering & Machine Learning
Software Engineering Institute
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Systems analyst External links:
Systems Analyst – accounting / finance – job employment
http://boston.craigslist.org › … › jobs › accounting/finance
Staff and Senior Information Systems Analyst (Series) …
Computer Engineer/Systems Analyst – The Princeton Review