What is involved in Desktop Virtualization
Find out what the related areas are that Desktop Virtualization connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Desktop Virtualization thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Desktop Virtualization journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Desktop Virtualization leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Desktop Virtualization related domains to cover and 93 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Desktop Virtualization, Apple–Intel architecture, Application software, Application virtualization, Citrix XenApp, Cloud computing, Data as a service, Desktop environment, Hardware virtualization, Microsoft App-V, Microsoft Windows, Oracle Corporation, Parallels Desktop for Mac, Public Cloud, Remote Desktop Protocol, Remote Desktop Services, Software as a service, Tablet computer, Thin client, VMware Fusion, VMware Horizon View, VMware ThinApp, Virtual PC:
Desktop Virtualization Critical Criteria:
Debate over Desktop Virtualization failures and secure Desktop Virtualization creativity.
– Does Desktop Virtualization include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Desktop Virtualization?
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Desktop Virtualization project manager?
Apple–Intel architecture Critical Criteria:
Discuss Apple–Intel architecture engagements and get answers.
– Do those selected for the Desktop Virtualization team have a good general understanding of what Desktop Virtualization is all about?
– Have all basic functions of Desktop Virtualization been defined?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Application software results and probe Application software strategic alliances.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Desktop Virtualization project?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Desktop Virtualization Management?
– How to deal with Desktop Virtualization Changes?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Nurse Application virtualization tactics and test out new things.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Desktop Virtualization project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Desktop Virtualization project lifecycle?
– Which customers cant participate in our Desktop Virtualization domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Desktop Virtualization study?
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
Citrix XenApp Critical Criteria:
Meet over Citrix XenApp failures and devote time assessing Citrix XenApp and its risk.
– Is the Desktop Virtualization organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What about disaster recovery?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Cloud computing leadership and revise understanding of Cloud computing architectures.
– It is clear that the CSP will face a large number of requests from its customers to prove that the CSP is secure and reliable. There a number of audit and compliance considerations for both the CSP and the customer to consider in cloud computing. First, which compliance framework should a CSP adopt to satisfy its customers and manage its own risks?
– How can we create a secure environment to protect our data, especially when new business models like cloud computing and mobility leave us with little control over it?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– There are issues relating to policy and access. if your data is stored abroad whose policy do you adhere to?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further enable saas adoption?
– What does it take to become a cloud computing provider, and why would a company consider becoming one?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT service management ?
– Have you taken into account the vulnerabilities of the cloud solution?
– How does cloud computing affect budget predictability for CIOs?
– Is cloud computing a threat to the real sense of ownership?
– What are the pros cons of various oss for cloud computing?
– What are the practical limitations to cloud technology?
– What is the first priority cloud security concern?
– How is cloud computing related to web analytics?
– Resource provisioning algos in cloud computing?
– What are some cloud computing benchmarks?
– Will cloud computing always lower costs?
– What is a benefit of cloud computing?
– Fedramp approved/compliant?
Data as a service Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Data as a service strategies and arbitrate Data as a service techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– When a Desktop Virtualization manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Why should we adopt a Desktop Virtualization framework?
Desktop environment Critical Criteria:
Adapt Desktop environment engagements and document what potential Desktop environment megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Desktop Virtualization in a volatile global economy?
– Do we all define Desktop Virtualization in the same way?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Administer Hardware virtualization visions and ask what if.
– How do we maintain Desktop Virtualizations Integrity?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Value Microsoft App-V tasks and do something to it.
– How do we know that any Desktop Virtualization analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Will Desktop Virtualization deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Microsoft Windows engagements and shift your focus.
– Do the Desktop Virtualization decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Oracle Corporation Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Oracle Corporation strategies and define Oracle Corporation competency-based leadership.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Desktop Virtualization product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Desktop Virtualization processes?
– Do we have past Desktop Virtualization Successes?
Parallels Desktop for Mac Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Parallels Desktop for Mac risks and display thorough understanding of the Parallels Desktop for Mac process.
– What are all of our Desktop Virtualization domains and what do they do?
– Who will provide the final approval of Desktop Virtualization deliverables?
– How can skill-level changes improve Desktop Virtualization?
Public Cloud Critical Criteria:
Deduce Public Cloud adoptions and define what our big hairy audacious Public Cloud goal is.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Desktop Virtualization? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Which applications are best suited for the internal data center, and which ones make sense for the public cloud?
– In the case of public clouds, will the hosting service provider meet their regulatory compliance requirements?
– Do I establish a private (or community) cloud as a staging platform as we learn more about public clouds?
– How will the switch happen to public cloud when the private cloud infrastructure gets mixed out?
– What is our formula for success in Desktop Virtualization ?
– Is the public cloud more secure?
Remote Desktop Protocol Critical Criteria:
Understand Remote Desktop Protocol adoptions and drive action.
– Think about the functions involved in your Desktop Virtualization project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Why is Desktop Virtualization important for you now?
– Is Desktop Virtualization Required?
Remote Desktop Services Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Remote Desktop Services quality and optimize Remote Desktop Services leadership as a key to advancement.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Desktop Virtualization?
– How do we Identify specific Desktop Virtualization investment and emerging trends?
– Which statement is true about remote desktop services (rds)?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Software as a service leadership and secure Software as a service creativity.
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– Is Desktop Virtualization Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Desktop Virtualization effort?
– What are current Desktop Virtualization Paradigms?
Tablet computer Critical Criteria:
Focus on Tablet computer decisions and give examples utilizing a core of simple Tablet computer skills.
– How likely is the current Desktop Virtualization plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What is Effective Desktop Virtualization?
Thin client Critical Criteria:
Study Thin client results and improve Thin client service perception.
– Consider your own Desktop Virtualization project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Desktop Virtualization. How do we gain traction?
– Does our organization need more Desktop Virtualization education?
VMware Fusion Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about VMware Fusion projects and forecast involvement of future VMware Fusion projects in development.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Desktop Virtualization strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are the long-term Desktop Virtualization goals?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Reason over VMware Horizon View issues and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive VMware Horizon View decisions.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Desktop Virtualization processes of our organization?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Desktop Virtualization been identified and analyzed?
– Have you identified your Desktop Virtualization key performance indicators?
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Survey VMware ThinApp tactics and separate what are the business goals VMware ThinApp is aiming to achieve.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Desktop Virtualization strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Think of your Desktop Virtualization project. what are the main functions?
Virtual PC Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Virtual PC governance and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Virtual PC.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Desktop Virtualization delivery for example is new software needed?
– Can we do Desktop Virtualization without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How will you measure your Desktop Virtualization effectiveness?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Desktop Virtualization Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Desktop Virtualization External links:
MED-V – Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | TechNet
Application and Desktop Virtualization – Citrix
Application software External links:
Title application software Free Download for Windows
Application software – ScienceDaily
Ch. 3 Application Software Flashcards | Quizlet
Application virtualization External links:
Hotfix Package 1 for Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.1
Citrix XenApp External links:
Citrix XenApp 6.0 | FileMaker Community
Citrix Xenapp – Free downloads and reviews – CNET Download.com
[PDF]Citrix XenApp Installation Instructions – DTSA
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Data as a service External links:
DaaS: Contact Informatica Data as a Service
Desktop environment External links:
Lumina Desktop Environment | Exploring and sharing …
Hardware virtualization External links:
How to Enable Hardware Virtualization – MEmu App Player
Microsoft App-V External links:
Create & Publish a Virtual App with Microsoft App-V – YouTube
Microsoft App-V – Virtual Applications | TechNet
Microsoft Windows External links:
Changing Microsoft Windows and Office Product Keys
Apps | Microsoft Windows 10 | Official Site
Oracle Corporation External links:
ORCL Key Statistics | Oracle Corporation Stock – Yahoo
Oracle Corporation – ORCL – Stock Price Today – Zacks
Oracle Corporation (ORCL) Pre-Market Trading – NASDAQ.com
Parallels Desktop for Mac External links:
Download Parallels Desktop for Mac for only $39.99 | …
Public Cloud External links:
The Difference Between Private and Public Cloud – …
What is public cloud? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Comparing the Top Public Cloud Providers – Datamation
Remote Desktop Protocol External links:
Remote Desktop Protocol (Windows) – msdn.microsoft.com
What is Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)? – Definition …
Remote Desktop Services External links:
Download Microsoft Remote Desktop Services …
Software as a service External links:
What is Software as a Service (SaaS) – Salesforce.com
Software as a Service – Banking Solutions | FinReach
What is SaaS? Software as a Service | Microsoft Azure
Tablet computer External links:
Touchscreen Tablet Computer for Seniors
Samsung Galaxy Book: Windows Tablet Computer | …
Thin client External links:
Zero Client and Thin Client Computers | Samsung Business
DWD Thin Client System
TER Death Thin Client Page
VMware Fusion External links:
VMware Fusion – Official Site
VMware Workstation | VMware Fusion
VMware Horizon View External links:
Load Balancing for VMware Horizon View (2146312)
NYCHHC – VMware Horizon View
VMware Horizon View
VMware ThinApp External links:
VMware ThinApp 5 Documentation Center
NDM | VMware ThinApp Price | shop
Enabling VMware ThinApp virtual applications for …
Virtual PC External links:
With Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, you can create and run one or more virtual machines, each with its own operating system, on a single computer.
Virtual PC and Virtual Applications | NVIDIA GRID
Virtual PC | Division of Information Technology